At the Circulating Library Author Information: Anne Denn Pollard
Author: Anne Denn Pollard (1831–1893)
Alternate Name(s): John Pomeroy (pseudonym); Smith (maiden name); Shenton (second married name)
Biography: Anne Denn Pollard was born in 1831 in Torquay, the daughter of Robert Smith who served in the Royal Navy. In 1846, she married George Augustus Pollard and the couple had five children. After the birth of her children, Pollard began writing novels under the pseudonym "John Pomeroy" beginning with Raising the Veil (1862) for the publisher Bentley. She wrote a further seven novels, the latter ones for lesser publishers, and none seemed to have made much mark with the public. Her husband died in 1866 and as a widow she lived in London with two daughters. Rather late in life, in 1881, she married the younger George Shenton but the marriage was not successful (and may have ended in divorce). She died in 1893.
References: Belfast Morning News (23 February 1866); British Census (1881, 1891); pers inf (Letitia Pollard)
- Raising the Veil. 2 vol. London: Bentley, 1862.
- Opposite Neighbours: A Novel. 2 vol. London: Bentley, 1863.
- Until the End: A Story of Real Life. 1 vol. London: Charles W. Wood, 1867.
- Home from India: A Novel. 2 vol. London: Tinsley Brothers, 1869.
- A Double Secret and Golden Pippin. 3 vol. London: Tinsley Brothers, 1870.
- The Scandinavian Ring: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Tinsley Brothers, 1871.
- Lady May's Intentions: A Novelette. 1 vol. London: Tinsley Brothers, 1873.
- Twin Tales. 1 vol. London: City of London Publishing Co., 1884.