At the Circulating Library Author Information: Beatrice Batty
Author: Beatrice Batty (1833–1933)
Alternate Name(s): Stebbing (maiden name); Bee Bee (pseudonym)
Biography: Beatrice Batty was born in 1833 in London,the eldest daughter of the Rev. Henry Stebbing (1799–1883). Her father was a noted clergyman, poet, author, and editor. Her siblings included journalist William Stebbing, zoologist Rev. Thomas R.R. Stebbing, and novelist Grace Stebbing. She was educated at Moravian schools in the Black Forest. The experiences formed the basis for her first book, An English Girl's Account of a Moravian Settlement (1858) edited by family friend and novelist Anne Manning. In 1860, she married Robert Braithwaite Batty, the only son of Waterloo veteran Capt. Robert Batty. Immediately after the marriage, Beatrice accompanied Robert who went to India as a missionary against medical advice. Within a year, he died of dysentery and she returned to England. As a widow, she worked for missionary causes and wrote various works of fiction and nonfiction. In 1882, Batty and another widow Mrs. Webber shared a house in Oxford where they frequented lectures and learned societies and maintained "at home" days. She died in 1933 in her hundredth year.
References: DNB (Henry Stebbing); Times (2 May 1933)
- The Mill in the Valley: A Tale of German Rural Life. 1 vol. London: Arthur Hall, 1859.
- Truth Answers Best: or, Jean and Nicolette. 1 vol. London: Bentley, 1860.
- The Apostle of the Alps: A Tale. 1 vol. London: Arthur Hall, 1863.
- Little Tija: or, A New Name. 1 vol. London: S.P.C.K., 1870.
- Effie and her Ayah: or, The Faithful Monkey and his Little White Mistress. 1 vol. London: S.P.C.K., 1873.
- Matzchen and his Mistresses: A True Story. 1 vol. London: James Nisbet, 1881.
- Stories of my Pets: Tales of Birds, Beasts, and Reptiles. 1 vol. London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1886.
- Ernest Dacent: or, The Purpose Fulfilled. 1 vol. London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1886.
- Passages in the Life of an Undergraduate. 1 vol. London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1887.
- The Life and Adventures of a Very Little Monkey and Other Tales. 1 vol. London: Swan Sonnenschein, 1888.