At the Circulating Library has severals ways to use or express the information on Victorian book history found in the database, including general statistics, visualizations, and datasets.
Here are several general statistics about authorship, publishing, and serializations.
Using the database, At the Circulating Library offers several data visualizations of the quantitative data, including graphs of:
- Number of New Fiction Titles Published per Year, 1837–1901
- Number of New Fiction Titles Published by Format per Year, 1837–1901
- Number of New Fiction Titles Published by Publisher per Year, 1837–1901
- Number of New Fiction Titles Published by Author Gender per Year, 1837–1901
- Number of Fiction Titles Serialized per Year, 1837–1901
- Authors by Nationality
- Authors by Occupation
- Fiction Titles by Setting
Twice a year (in June and December) we release complete author and title datasets in csv files as snapshots.
Though the total population of Victorian fiction titles remains unknown, here is a means for making a random sample of titles from the database in a given data range.
Members of the At the Circulating Library research team have used the database in their published works.