At the Circulating Library Author Information: Margaret Ann Curtois
Author: Margaret Ann Curtois (1855–1932)
Biography: Margaret Ann Curtois was born in 1855 in Branston, Lincolnshire, the daughter of Rev. Atwell Curtois and Ann Henrietta Lee-Warner. Her fifty-year career began with My Best Pupil (1883) and included a dozen novels, a collection of short stories, and books of fairy tales, such as Chronicles of Elfland (1890). Her last book, In Minden Town, was published in 1924. She never married and died in 1932 in London. At the time of her death, a reader remarked in a letter to the Times, "All her books were composed with care and written with a sense of the value, all the value, of words; and they present living and convincing characters, without any taint of the desire to exploit intellectual fads or foibles."
References: British Census (1881); Times (10 September 1932; 15 September 1932)
- The Story of Meg. 2 vol. London: Remington, 1884.
- Leap Year. 2 vol. London: Remington, 1885.
- Athlos: or, The Story of a Life. 2 vol. London: Remington, 1886.
- Tracked: A Story. 2 vol. London: Remington, 1888.
- The Romance of a Country: A Masque. 2 vol. London: T. Fisher Unwin, 1893.