At the Circulating Library Author Information: Catherine Simpson Wynne
Author: Catherine Simpson Wynne (1817–1905)
Alternate Name(s): Jessopp (maiden name)
Biography: Catherine Simpson Wynne was born in 1817 in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, the daughter of John Sympson Jessopp (1779–1851), a barrister-at-law, deputy lieutenant, and justice of the peace. She married Robert Wynne, a partner in a firm of Liverpool shipbuilders. Late in life, she wrote half-a-dozen novels. In one, Margaret's Engagement (1867), Swinburne identified a thinly-disguised portrait of himself. By 1881, Wynne was a widow living with an unmarried younger sister. She died in 1905.
References: British Census (1881); Cecil Y. Lang, The Yale Edition of the Swinburne Letters (Yale, 1959)
- A Life in a Love: A Novel. 2 vol. London: Bentley, 1865.
- Margaret's Engagement: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1867.
- My Insect Queen: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1869.
- Sister May: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1871.
- A Horrid Girl: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1876.
- The Story of a Kiss. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1887.