Author: Emilia Julia Aylmer-Gowing
Author: Emilia Julia Aylmer-Gowing (1846–1905)
Alternate Name(s): Blake (maiden name)
Biography: Emilia Julia Aylmer-Gowing was born in 1846 in Bath, the daughter of Mr. Blake, the Queen's Counsel of Dublin. She received a classical education under her mother's direction in Brighton and Paris. While in her teens, she began writing and reciting poetry. Thereafter she went on the provincial stage and wrote plays, including A Life Race. She married the actor William Gowing (known as "Walter Gordon") in 1877 (together the couple assumed the name "Aylmer-Gowing"). In addition to poetry and drama, Aylmer-Gowing wrote several novels. She died in 1905.
References: Kemp; Men and Women of the Time (1895); Reilly; Times (25 August 1905)
- My Only Love: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Remington, 1880.
- The Jewel Reputation. 3 vol. London: Spencer Blackett, 1888.
- An Unruly Spirit: A Novel. 3 vol. London: F. V. White, 1890.
- Gods of Gold. 1 vol. London: F. V. White, 1896.
- Merely Players. 1 vol. London: F. V. White, 1897.
- A Touch of the Sun. 1 vol. London: Thomas Burleigh, 1899.
- A Spider's Web. 1 vol. London: Thomas Burleigh, 1900.