Author: Mary Charlotte Phillpotts
Author: Mary Charlotte Phillpotts (1839–1924)
Alternate Name(s): Herbert (married name)
Biography: Mary Charlotte Phillpotts was born in 1839 at Gwenap, Cornwall, the daughter of the Rev. Thomas Phillpotts, later Canon of Truro Cathedral. In her twenties, she began writing religious fiction for S.P.C.K. before producing two three-volume novels for Hurst and Blackett. In 1877, she married judge John Maurice Herbert and the couple lived in Herefordshire. Her husband was a college friend of Charles Darwin. He died in 1882 and she lived as a widow until her death on 6 March 1924 in Bournemouth.
References: Allibone; Bibliotheca Cornubiensis (1881); Boase; British Census (1881); Times (7 Nobember 1882); Western Morning News (10 March 1924)
- Paul's Mountain Home. 1 vol. London: S. P. C. K., 1865.
- The Hillford Confirmation: A Tale. 1 vol. London: Rivington, 1869.
- The Manor Farm: A Tale. 1 vol. London: Rivington, 1869.
- Maggie's Secret. 2 vol. London: Hurst and Blackett, 1871.
- Janet's Choice. 3 vol. London: Hurst and Blackett, 1872.
- Drifted Away: A Tale of Adventure. 1 vol. London: S. P. C. K., 1877.