Author: Sophia Crawford
Author: Sophia Crawford (1799–1878)
Alternate Name(s): Mockler (maiden name); Mrs. Abraham Crawford (familiar name)
Biography: Sophia Crawford was born in 1799 in Rockville, Co. Cork, Ireland, the daughter of the Rev. James Mockler, the vicar of Litter. In 1831 she married Admiral Abraham Crawford, R.N. (1788–1868). Her husband entered the navy in 1800 and saw constant action until invalided home in 1829. He wrote a memoir of his experiences, Reminiscences of a Naval Officer, During the Late War (1851). The couple settled in Devon. In the 1850s, she wrote five undistinguished novels. He died in 1868 and she died in 1878 in Devon.
References: British Census (1851); Loeber; United Service Magazine (March 1868)
- The Lady of the Bedchamber: A Novel. 2 vol. London: T. C. Newby, 1850.
- The Double Marriage: A Novel. 3 vol. London: T. C. Newby, 1852.
- Lismore. 3 vol. London: T. C. Newby, 1853.
- The Story of a Nun: A Novel. 3 vol. London: T. C. Newby, 1855.
- Early Struggles. 3 vol. London: T. C. Newby, 1857.