At the Circulating Library Author Information: Louisa Stewart
Author: Louisa Stewart (1821–1881)
Alternate Name(s): Muckleston (maiden name)
Biography: Louisa Stewart was born about 1821 in Devon, the daughter of clergyman John Fletcher Muckleston and Louisa Preston. As a young woman, she published a juvenile work Walks at Templecombe (1840). In 1842, she married surgeon Robert Stewart of Torquay and the couple had two children. In the 1860s, Stewart published another four novels. She died in 1881 in Devon.
References: British Census (1851, 1861, 1871, 1881)
- Walks at Templecombe: or, Scenes in the History of Constantia and Fanny. 1 vol. London: Hamilton, 1840.
- Atheline: or, The Castle by the Sea. A Tale. 2 vol. London: John W. Parker, 1860.
- The Wave and the Battle-Field. 1 vol. London: James Hogg, 1861.
- The Valley of the Maude: or, "On Dits." A Tale. 3 vol. London: Saunders and Otley, 1862.
- The Story of a Boy's Adventures, and How He Rose in the World. 1 vol. London: James Hogg, 1862.