Author: Magdalen Harriet Mary Capes
Author: Magdalen Harriet Mary Capes (1843–1927)
Alternate Name(s): Magdalen Brooke (pseudonym); M. Harriet M. Capes (familiar name)
Biography: Sister of novelist Bernard Capes (1854–1918). Capes wrote children's books, worked as a translator, and promoted the Sunday School movement. She was also a friend of novelist Joseph Conrad. The Story of Eleanor Lambert (1891) was her only book for adults. She never married and died in 1927. NB: Several sources list mistaken birth and death dates for this author. She is sometimes confused with another author, Harriet Mary Capes, due to a similar name.
References: British Census (1881, 1891, 1901); Kemp (Bernard Capes); Sutherland (Bernard Capes)
- Two Little Brothers. 1 vol. London: Blackie, 1885.
- The Wise Princess, and Other Stories. 1 vol. London: Blackie, 1887.
- Sylvia Brooke. 1 vol. London: Blackie, 1888.
- A Change for the Worse: or, The Lesson of a Day. 1 vol. London: Blackie, 1890.
- The Story of Eleanor Lambert. 1 vol. London: T. Fisher Unwin, 1891.
- Loyal to his Trust. 1 vol. London: Sunday School Union, 1894.
- The Little Runaways. 1 vol. London: Sunday School Union, 1896.