Author: Eleanor C. Price
Author: Eleanor C. Price (1847–1933)
Biography: Eleanor Catharine Price was born in 1847 in Bishops Cleeve, the daughter of Thomas Edward Price of Dosthill Lodge. At a young age, she turned to literature as a career. As a reviewer, she worked a long time for the Spectator as well as contributing to The Monthly Packet, the Manchester Guardian, and other periodicals. Beginning with One Only (1874), she wrote nearly two dozen novels. In addition, she wrote biographic and historical works. She never married and lived for a number of years with her sister and brother-in-law. She died in 1933 and her friend Esmé Stuart wrote a warm obituary of her for the Times.
References: British Census (1861, 1871, 1881, 1901, 1911); Times (27 June 1933)
- One Only. 2 vol. London: Sampson Low, 1874.
- Constantia: A Novel. 2 vol. London: Sampson Low, 1876.
- A Lost Battle. 2 vol. Edinburgh: David Douglas, 1878.
- A French Heiress in Her Own Château. 1 vol. London: Sampson Low, 1878.
- Mrs. Lancaster's Rival. 3 vol. London: Sampson Low, 1879.
- The Story of a Demoiselle. 1 vol. London: Marcus Ward, 1880.
- Valentina: A Sketch. 2 vol. London: Chatto and Windus, 1882.
- The Foreigners: A Novel. 3 vol. London: Chatto and Windus, 1883.
- Gerald. 3 vol. London: Chatto and Windus, 1885.
- Alexia. 1 vol. London: Bentley, 1886.
- Red Towers. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1889.
- A Loyal Mind. 1 vol. London: Remington, 1889.
- The Little One. 2 vol. London: Bentley, 1891.
- Miss Latimer of Bryans. 3 vol. London: Bentley, 1893.
- In the Lion's Mouth: The Story of Two English Children in France, 1789-1793. 1 vol. London: Macmillan, 1894.
- John's Lily. 1 vol. London: Wells, Gardner, Darton, 1894.
- Poor Little Mother. 1 vol. London: S. P. C. K., 1896.
- Young Denys: A Story of the Days of Napoleon. 1 vol. Edinburgh: W. & R. Chambers, 1896.
- Off the High Road: The Story of a Summer. 1 vol. London: Macmillan, 1899.
- Two Half-Sovereigns: A Christmas Story. 1 vol. London: S. P. C. K., 1899.
- Brown Robin. 1 vol. London: William Isbister, 1899.
- The Heiress of the Forest: A Romance of Old Anjou. 1 vol. London: William Isbister, 1900.
- Tina the Wanderer. 1 vol. London: S. P. C. K., 1901.
How to Cite